Sunday, December 29, 2013

Saving Mr. Banks movie review

 
Saving Mr. Banks is a must-see, and here's why:

This film was deeper and more emotional than I thought it was going to be. It was also more serious than I expected, which is in no way a bad thing.  The seriousness of the film was matched by incredible heart and paired with Disney magic!  The story of P.L. Travers and her relationship with her father is unforgettable. So much so, that I don't think it's possible to watch Mary Poppins the same way again. It will change your view of the story, but it does not take away the magic of the original film. 

The casting of this film was brilliant. Tom Hanks plays Walt Disney with complete perfection, making me feel like I actually knew the man. When you see the film, you will know what I mean. You'll feel like Walt is your close friend!
 Emma Thompson does a wonderful job playing Travers; exuding propriety and dripping with sarcasm.  By the end of the film, you will fall in love with her.
 The supporting actors of the film are remarkable as well. B.J. Novak and Jason Schwartzman play Dick and Bob Sherman, the composers of Mary Poppins. It's a fun walk down memory lane watching them come up with well-known songs from the film and you'll want to song along! Bradley Whitford does a delightful job playing Don DaGradi, the screen writer of Mary Poppins, and brings a lot of fun to the film. 
And then there is Colin Farrell's incredible portrayal of P.L. Travers' father.  I was blown away by Colin's acting in this film. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan, and I've always been impressed by his talents, but, this film in particular opened my eye to just how talented he really is. He will tug at your heart strings and make your cry (if you're not a robot).  His performance in this film should not be over-looked. 
So, what I'm saying is, stop what you're doing and go see this film right now! It's a beautiful film and if you're a Disney nut like me, you will be pleased with the amount of Disney history inside of the film! If you're a die-hard Mary Poppins fan, don't let this movie scare you. It will not change your feelings towards the original movie, it will only enhance them as you learn more about the real story!

This film is definitely worth the money and I'm ready to go see it a second time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment